Friday 15 March 2013

Why am I making a patchwork quilt?

Buried somewhere in the side bar All About Me, that I so blithely wrote last October, is a passing reference to an intention to join a patchwork/quilting group  that was starting up in the village in the winter. And indeed I did join it, albeit a bit after most other people. It didn't get going until after Christmas by which time, as regular readers will know, I was laid up with a broken ankle, and it's once a month, so I think it was Session 3 before I got there. And discovered we were all making ourselves quilts.
 
This where I need one of those little emoticon things, showing a dropped jaw.
 
Now when I related this to one of my friends she said what else were you expecting, and I can sort of see where she's coming from, given that it's called a quilting group. Although as I didn't say to her, you can quilt things without them being quilts, if you see what I mean. I did say I thought that we would be starting with something smaller. Like a cushion cover. A  table centre. Napkins and table mats. Almost anything in fact smaller than the top of double bed.
 
Well I have put in quite a lot of effort, and even more money and I'm machining up a lot of fabric strips. I'm not even the furthest behind of the group. But I don't feel that patchwork and quilting are destined to become one of my passions. Or even that I will ever, ever do any patchwork or quilting again. I will finish this quilt though. And post a picture to prove it.
 
 Just one word of caution. Don't hold your collective breaths!

No comments:

Post a Comment