Wednesday 4 May 2022

Ouch! That was so NOT Supposed to Happen

 So Monday morning I had an outpatients appointment at the hospital which was fine, and then we'd decided to take the opportunity to go to a mid day screening of Operation Mincemeat. I hadn't anticipated that the film would turn out to be the filling in a hospital visit sandwich, but it was. As we walked back to the car I tripped over the curb and fell. I was all for hobbling to the caf and going home, but the OH had taken one look at the amount of blood I was staining the pavement with and called an ambulance. It arrived about three minutes later, complete with blues and twos,  which was exciting but seemed a bit OTT to me. 

They took me off to A and E while the OH was despatched to the optometrist to see if he could make my glasses actually stay on my head,  which they were outright refusing to do at that point, and collect the car. Everyone at A and E was very nice, they took great care of me, and I was examined, observed X-rayed and stitched. At no time in all of this was I asked if I knew who the Prime Minister was. Where I was, yes. What the day of the week was, yes. Name of the Prime Mi ister, no. So the next time you see that on a medical drama, know that it does not happen IRL When I mentioned it, one of the staff said 'Well really, who cares?'. Which is a point of view I suppose. 

Obviously they didn't keep me in and I'm recovering at home, mainly by taking painkillers and resting. J have a very badly sprained arm and wrist, my right arm, and as I'm right handed that's a bit of a problem. Badly bruised face, dressing over the four stitches near my eye where my glasses gouged a lump out of my face, and an unsightly but healing lip where my tooth went through it. 

Since I feel fairly fragile and resemble Quasimodo's twin sister we cancelled our trip to Glasgow today  for a reception at Scottish Opera featuring not only Dame Janet Bakef but also Sir Thomas Allen, which was gutting, but it couldn't be helped, We are crossing our fingers I will look and feel better enough to go to Glasgow next week, when we have lots of nice things lined up. 

On the upside Operation Mincemeat was very good. 

1 comment:

  1. No way were you fit to walk to the car! All that blood would have scared the ducks something rotten, and it would have attracted every Orkney mega-stoat from miles around.

    ReplyDelete