Tuesday 26 April 2022

Sex and Death in Austro-Hungary

 or The Scandal at Mayerling.


which was the ballet we went to see in Inverness last week.

Long term readers may recall that Inverness and I have had our issues in the past but fingers crossed they seem to be behind us and this was a successful trip Smooth journey down, a quick dip into M & S where I  bought two new shirts and a pair of leggings, (to which I am a late but enthusiastic convert) hotel check in and then the ballet. 

I'd never seen it, as my ballet going has been limited. I enjoyed it, if enjoyed is the word given the subject matter and  I  took a particular interest in the costumes since  I had given to the appeal for help with funding them. I'm such a sucker for theatrical textiles. They were sumptuous, it has to be said, although when the curtain opened on Act 2, in a tavern come brothel and displayed some rather staggeringly attired lades of the night I did whisper to the OH that I hoped none  of my money had gone towards those particular costumes. 

The program (see above) cost a bomb and was a waste of money since a) I couldn't see well enough to read the type and b) it didn't contain a cast list. The first of these is not the fault of SB but the second seems a huge mistake/oversight on their part. I don't know many SB dancers by face or name yet so only recognised the amazing Bethany Kingsley Garner as Princess Louise. Who was, naturally, amazing

So that was a nice break and we now have a very very quiet week, in contrast to next week which is shaping up to be mega busy and exhausting. Although, with the exception of my out  patients visit on Monday (sadly not for my eyes) it should be enjoyable too as we zap to Glasgow for a Very Special Occasion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment