Friday 27 May 2022

Good News Bears Time

I have absolutely no idea where the bears come into it. Good news bears was a phrase my elder son used to use when he was about 10 and it has stuck, as these things do. 

Anyway the good news is that I had some laser treatment on my eye when I went to the hospital on Wednesday.  All the good vibes, crossed fingers etc obviously worked because it made a huge difference. I had thought, once the optometrist had detected the partial thickness hole  in my macular that a lot of my visual problems were down to that but it turns out not to be the case since the laser was for the clouded capsule. 

As for the partial thickness hole it is going to be left in peace. Apparently they 'sometimes resolve spontaneously' (to which my unspoken reaction was the dry Scottish 'Aye right') , or 'they stabilise' or 'people learn to love them, give them names and adopt them as pets'. No he didn't actually say that last one, what he said was that people learn to live with them for years, which I accept is a bit of a different thing.

Anyway, check up in two months, the hole gets kept under review but they're going nowhere near it with a scalpel for the foreseeable (huge relief). This makes life a lot easer, not only because I can see a lot more, but because the uncertainty of surgery/no surgery, timing, recovery etc is all lifted and we can plan a bit more of the year out, although with the caveat that we still have to keep in mind that I am supposed to be having the galll bladder out at some stage. 

I've aid it before, and I'll say it again, people who work in ophthalmology are lovely. Every time I say that I think I'm jinxing it and the next time I go I will meet A Nasty Ophthalmologist but it hasn't happened yet. I think it might be because it's a specialty where they can do a lot of things yo make people's lives  a lot better. That must be a good way for your work to pan out. 

I spent some time yesterday with a new jigsaw puzzle and  also read for a while (although that said it was a large print book. not sure how normal size print will go. Today I look at how easy or otherwise it now is to cross stitch. All the things I couldn't do for months, and which I promised myself I would get on to and mindfully enjoy if my eyes could only be put right.

It has lifted my mood immensely too; I hadn't realised quite how down I was about my difficulties. And glory glory, when I go to Prague next month I'll be able to see it properly, rater than as just a fuzzy blur. Good news times, bears or otherwise, indeed. 

1 comment:

  1. It is always good if something includes bears . . . well, Teddy Bears anyhow! Glad to hear the good news :-)

    ReplyDelete