Sunday 30 June 2024

The Great Wool Sort Out - Update 5

 So before I say anything, feast your eyes on this! 


That is the box that held all my sock yarn leftovers at the beginning of May. And it's empty. Go me! 

Stats. 

Wool in 400g. Half of this was two more skeins of the Monet themed hand dyed that the dyer put out as a limited edition; well she did more than two but I restricted myself. The other half was 200g of bog standard grey DK for the border of my crochet blanket . In the event one ball would have done but I didn't know and bought two for safety and actually I have something in mind for the other ball, so that's OK. 

Wool out was a massive 2373g!  This was due largely to a combination of the crochet blanket and sending stuff to charity shops; having done one scrappy blanket I couldn't face doing another so most of the rest of the sock leftovers went to the charity shop. I had used up about 80% of them though. And I kept my Shoppelwolle Zauberball bits  because the colours are so lovely and it was stretching it a bit to call some of them 'leftovers'. 

So the net reduction for June was 1973g and the cumulative total for the year, which we are now half way through is is 8072g. I think that's good going. 

July will not be so productive because I have club yarn arriving. Also I am away for most of it. Also we will probably be revisiting the shop where we bought the wool and pattern for the OH's Finnish jumper last summer. 

And the rest of the year will be harder. Of the three boxes still left to tackle one has sock wool, and it's almost full, and although I can knit socks quite quickly I can't knit them fast enough to empty that box in 8 weeks! One has a couple of sweater quantities of wool plus a few kits. The third one  is full of I'm not quite sure what, so that will be a nice surprise when I open that up (!) but I suspect it will not be susceptible to a quick empty either. But then I didn't think I'd ever get to the end of my sock yarn leftovers and I did. 

So to the things that got finished. The non-knitting project this month was obviously the crochet blanket. 


It's massive. It's not perfect but you know what? I don't care. I've got past thinking that everything I tackle for the first time should end up being perfect.  I enjoyed making it, the whole process was very relaxing, it made me happy to work on it and I love the finished article even if it has got a bit of a floppy border. And it's going to keep me soooooo warm in the winter.  

As for the knitting. I did a sample sock for Helen at Giddy yarns in one of her new collection sock sets. It's themed around The Wind in the Willows and the main colour here is The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. A bit blown out, it's brighter than that IRL.


The OH got two pairs of socks 



and if you recall me mentioning the four unfinished baby jumpers that came out of the 'box from under the spare room bed' , I finished the pink one and also made a matching hat. 


It was a very dull job which probably explains why the other three are still languishing in the box in much the same state as they were when I opened the box last month. 

Oh, and Poppy the Penguin got a new blanket


That is it for now. Tomorrow I fly to Glasgow and then on Wednesday I carry on south to Nottingham where I'll be attending the World Congress of Scottish Literature. Happy to say I got my paper edited so that now instead of being 18 minutes long at a gabble it is 18 minutes long at more or less normal speed so that give me two minutes in hand for dramatic pauses etc.  After that it's back to Glasgow for a few days followed by a week in Finland. The OH's passport is remaining under my control for the duration! 

So there you go - back at the end of July! 


2 comments:

  1. Happy travels and may your passports be attached to you with superglue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Giddy Yarns wool! Have a happy and safe time travelling xx

    ReplyDelete