Wednesday 28 April 2021

The Sun Was Shining

at the end of last week and it was so warm on Friday it occurred to me that I could risk asking someone round for a coffee outside without  them being in danger of freezing to death. So I got on the blower and suggested it to a local friend who I have talked to on the phone over the last year but not actually seen in all that time except for five very careful socially distanced minutes when we exchanged Christmas presents. 

She was delighted. I then went and looked at our patio furniture, which has suffered the depredations of several Orkney winters being stored in a more or less roofless byre, and then the equally harsh conditions of several Orkney summers living out on the patio and decided it needed a bit of TLC before it could be used. Or perhaps camouflaging  would be  a better description. 

I threw throws over the two chairs, and put a cloth on the table. The OH was busy taking cuttings from a geranium that was threatening to take over those  small parts of the sunroom not already colonised by the coffee plant which meant he had a lot of loose flowers so I rescued a few of those and put them in a small crystal vase. Eh, voila. 


Then the OH collected my friend and we spent three happy hours chatting away, drinking coffee and being abstemious in the matter of biscuits before he took her home. 

It was an unexpected pleasure (remember the days when we could be spontaneous whenever we liked?).

The geranium flowersare now on the hall windowsill and still gong strong five days later which is nice; they are such a pretty colour so I hope some at least of the multifarious cuttings 'take'. 


1 comment:

  1. It all looks wonderful, Anne! I hope you have many more such days this spring and summer xx

    ReplyDelete