Thursday 15 April 2021

Back to the Beach

So for most of last week the view from our front windows was pretty much this



except for when you couldn't see the view due to the thickness of the snow showers. Not walking weather as most of my friends would agree. Except for the one on Facebook who urged me to 'get my boots on and get out in it'. There was rather too much of a  'pull on your big girls pants'  subtext to that for me, especially coming from someone who lives near Marseilles and therefore enjoys a  much milder climate than Orkney has.

But the snow has all gone (for now) and yesterday we got back to what we hope will be our daily walk. We just went as far as the local beach (Cara) which is totally transformed from how it was last year. They seem to have done a lot of sand extraction from it at the back, and the tide was a long long way out so there was masse of sand to walk on. I also took lots of pictures and here are some of them.


The Viking! 



Nesting fulmar



sandy ripples


I'm always fascinated by shells which have these worm casts on them, they make such amazing patterns and have an interesting texture. 

After a morning at the Conference (Panels on Women's Work in Iceland and Northern Women's Voices and a more scattergun one which I suspect was 'anything interesting we can find to say about Shetland' which encompassed an archaeology dig, an obscure, and miserable, medieval poem by a medieval Shetlander  and Rhona Laing, the Procurator Fiscal in Ann Cleeves' Shetland Detective Novels. I felt this latter one would have benefitted from  being written by a woman, but hey-ho!) and a bit of domestic drudgery of the laundry persuasion I am definitely ready for today's walk now.  


No comments:

Post a Comment