Monday 26 April 2021

A Postscript to the Rant

Someone has suggested that my dissolving yarn may be due to moth damage. The thought had occurred to me which is why I didn't name the supplier of the yarn concerned, in case it was my own fault.  I didn't think it was, because most my yarn is stored in drawers or plastic boxes, and additionally these have various forms of moth repellent in them. And I certainly didn't want to think that it was. 

However I woke up this morning with a very clear memory of taking that ball of silver grey out of the plastic bag in which the project had been stored and having to shake off it a couple of dead dessicated very small twiggy bit of stuff, and I suspect that they were in fact dead moths. 

So the bad news is that it probably was moth damage. The good news is that as that yarn was stored on a bag away from other yarn the damage is probably limited to that one ball - and possibly the other one that is the contrast colour, although no sign of that yet.  Fingers crossed. 

It's also a good lesson in making sure that my yarn is properly put away - stares hard at recent acquisitions piled up on top of box, - although piled up with a sachet of moth repellent on top, and in any case, now about to put safely away! 

1 comment:

  1. I asked only because I had the same experience with a second-hand skein of silk blend. Luckily it hadn’t got near my stash...Devious little buggers, moths!!

    ReplyDelete