Tuesday 5 January 2021

Walks

 Somewhat to my surprise we are managing to keep up our daily walk - helped a lot by the weather which has been mainly good. It can't last (the good weather, or the daily walking) but I'm making the most of it while it does.

So Saturday we did our  third barrier beach walk. This involves driving to the start of the barrier, then walking back along the sand looking for  shells and trying to avoid the occasional jellyfish while my back screams in protest at the way I'm putting so much strain on it by walking lopsidedly on a heavy sand slope. This is followed by a short but faintly worrying trek over seaweed covered rocks  to get to the bottom of a set of rotting and villainous steps. They take us back to the road on which we trog back to the car. I know, I've made it sound irresistible. It's fun though. I've got loads of photos of it on here already, so for today I'll just pop  up a pic of some seaweed which matched my jacket. 


Sunday we had a long walk at the Ring of Brodgar. Fabulous day - there was no wind at all, which is very unusual for Orkney. One or two people about but not too many. 




It was muddy underfoot so we wore our boots for the first time in ages. Also some boot socks which were a present from a friend in the US. 


As so often on Orkney we were blessed with a fantastic rainbow. 



And I tried to take some moody reflection photos. 

Yesterday was pretty grey and dampish to be honest so as the OH needed to go and do the shopping I went into town with him and we did a short walk along the harbourside and then round a thing known as the Peedie Sea. 

We saw lots of swans, some of which I took a photo of, and a man walking the cutest husky puppy, which naturally I didn't. 

Today, because we were taking down the decorations and also because the OH needed to work we stayed local and did one of our circuits round the village. It was further than I thought as I discovered when I felt my watch buzz to tell me I had made my daily step target well before we got home. 



In other news I have now finished the increase part of the First Footing Cowl and this evening I'll be tackling the first  bit of odd construction. I also need to cross my fingers I have a 40cm 4.00mm circular needle or I will be stuck until I can get hold of one. 


1 comment: