Thursday 21 January 2021

Sock Challenge 2021

 I know, why do I do these things to myself? I blame a Calvinist tinged upbringing. 

Anyway the challenge is to knit twelve pairs of socks, one a month, for son no 1. I got the idea when he said that a) he liked the ones I did for his birthday and b) the only socks he had were the ones I had knitted for him. This last was a bit concerning since as far as I can recall I have only ever made him about six pairs and half a dozen pairs of socks doesn't seem many for a country like Canada where keeping your toes warm is a challenge for 6-8 months of the year. And since I enjoy knitting them and since I have - ahem!- quite a lot of sock wool and some new patterns I'd like to try  this looked like a bit of a win/win. The only slight concern was that he famously doesn't like 'bright' socks, but I have dug out five skeins of less than bright sock wool which will keep me going and I've ordered a couple of balls of black which I shall jazz up with contrasting toes, heels and cuffs in brighter left overs. So that should keep me going until July I think. 

Here are January's which will be going into the post today if I can swim to the post office. 


They're very nice. 

I also made a set of cards to go in the parcel with them each month and here is the one that's going this time. 


They're not all of wolves although quite a lot of them are. I had great fun making them, I'm always saying I should go back to  making more cards ...

But I'm not the only one working in this challenge I hope.  Since all projects put up on Ravelry need a name I am going to be naming the socks in a sequence and I will be interested to see how long it takes Son No 1 to work  out what it is. These first ones are MacDonald. I reckon he'll have it sussed somewhere between March and May, but we'll see. 









1 comment: