Friday 22 May 2020

Dazzling Prospects


Yesterday our First Minister unveiled Scotland's four phase plan for coming out of Covid 19 lockdown. I've got quite comfortable how I am to be honest but I do realise that it's not all about me, also that the things I've enjoyed about lockdown can be carried through into what people will insist on calling the 'new normal'. 

In any case even I found my spirits lightened by two things announced for Phase 1 which, all other things being equal, start in the next couple of weeks. The first is the re-opening of recycling centres. The back hall of our house is currently a mountain range of cardboard making access to the back door and the coal bunker pretty difficult. At the best of times we seem to accumulate large amounts of cardboard; when you've had six or seven weeks when you can't get it out of the house, the pile threatens to spiral out of control. I know the first few day of the re-opening will be chaos, with long queues and rapidly filled skips but the thought of being able to get rid of the cardboard very soon is heartening. Who would ever have thought that being told the tip would be open soon would qualify as some of the best news you have heard in months! 

The second is is being able to drive to have exercise. Being unable to do this never made any sense to me in an Orkney context as, apart from anything else, we have to drive 15 miles to the supermarket. I may have mentioned here just once or twice  (!!) how sick I was of walking along the road in front of our house so the thought of being able to drive somewhere else to walk is really liberating. It will be wonderful to have a change of scene, and will also give me something to blog about other than knitting, reading and jigsaw puzzles.  

2 comments:

  1. I think a lot of people have been using the time to have a good clearout, so the recycling will be even busier - but hurrah for rehoming all the cardboard! It’ll be like having a whole new bit of your house 😁😁😁

    So pleased you can drive to exercise places, too. That never made sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you CAN walk along the road. We live off the A82 on a stretch with no cycle track or pavement, and getting to such a beast means a mile walking along a very busy road (even now) in one or other direction. I'd have driven to somewhere better already but all the carparks are shut. I have seen a LOT of our garden . . . (also round here there are no plans to open carparks until the final stage so I guess I have a while to wait to go somewhere new.)

    ReplyDelete