Friday 19 January 2024

Well, this was something new to try

 


yes it's a tin. and inside ...


my first attempt at a home made candle. 

I'm quite pleased with this. There were a few problems - like the scent not coning out of the bottle dripper  properly and then fearing that I had blocked the sink with some cooling wax, although I couldn't think how it could have happened. And the top isn't flat. 

But for a first attempt I'm pleased with it. I put enough colour in it so that it wasn't wishy washy and enough scent that it smells and I shall burn it this evening and see how it goes. 

And how did I come to be making a candle at all? I was inspired by a You Tube vlog where a dyer I follow was making candles and so the OH bought me a kit for Christmas. It had four of the tins, and more than enough supplies to make four candles, and four  different colours and four different scents. 

Sadly the jug in which you are supposed to melt the wax doesn't work on our hob as it's an induction one, so that I had to put it in a water bath. And it's also a bit small for purpose. So next time I'll try using the oven and if that's not totally satisfactory look for a small pan, preferably with a lip, that works on the induction hob.

Delighted to report that after the OH dismantled the bits of pipe beneath the sink he couldn't see any wax blocking anything and the liberal application of some hot water to the pipe outside seemed to cure the problem so possibly it was frozen. Which really wouldn't be surprising, given the temperatures over the last few days. 

I am not so delighted to report that we still have snow, although it is rapidly turning to slush and ice, which is in some ways worse, and we are forecast high winds developing from this afternoon until at least Sunday. With rain. Oh joy. 

1 comment: