Monday 1 January 2024

Beannachadh

 




When I was doing my Ph D I had a lot of help and encouragement from another scholar who had edited a complete collection of Hay's poetry. I always intended to give him a thank you gift as I had to George's friend and editor who had also given me a lot of help, not only with my thesis but also the fundraising and publicity for the Makar's Court stone. You can read all about that gift  here

I knew what I wanted for this one, but, having had a recommendation from a friend for a calligrapher and entered into some e-mail correspondence with her, she suddenly ghosted me ( not that I knew ghosting was even a thing at that point) Then we had covid and it all got put on  aback burner. Recently I had another attempt to find a calligrapher, this time with more success, and the piece was commissioned, made and delivered to me before we went south to Glasgow on our way to Stockholm. And while we were in Glasgow we managed to meet up with the recipient and hand it over. I think he liked it. 

I know the photo is a bit odd. But the lady in the shop where we bought the frame put it in for us  and then wrapped it up very thoroughly to protect it and I hadn't; the heart or the nerve to unwrap if to take the photo. And actually it is quite clear. 

Anyway the reason I'm blogging about it today is that it seems appropriate for the new year. Beannachadh is the Gaelic for blessing and the translation of this one is

May the King of the stars and the white sun 
Shield you from want and sickness
May he shield you from tempest and turmoil
and may you have peace where you are for ever

That seems a good place to start 2024. 

2 comments: