Sunday 29 January 2023

Weather Woes

We're off to Madeira on Friday which is lovely and which we're both looking forward to. Well, we're looking forward to being there; getting there not so much. Getting there involves an evening flight from Glasgow to Heathrow on Thursday, and a very early flight from Heathrow to Funchal on Friday. Because it's January we booked the early morning ferry on Tuesday, because that gave us several bites at the cherry if the weather meant cancelled ferries. Three ferries a day, two days, we thought we had it covered. 

Except that the winds are high and forecast to get even higher by mid-week and several ferries have already been cancelled and who knows what is gong to happen. The winds are due to drop tomorrow afternoon and we have therefore brought forward our ferry booking to tomorrow evening, although the word is that they will probably combine the afternoon and evening sailings so who knows what time it will go, assuming it does.  Coming on top of the problems we have had sorting out the booking in the first place, we will definitely need to do some major relaxing once we get there. I'm not even going to tempt fate by saying 'if'. 

I've wanted to go to Madera for a long time so assuming all goes well then I will have ticked off a third place on my bucket list in sometime less than nine months, which isn't bad going since I made my bucket list about thirty years ago and most of the places on there have languished unvisited ever since. Possibly it needs a bit of revision; and possibly I need to get my head down and get some more ticked off before I am tool old to travel.  

Anyway we're due back in Orkney, weather permitting on 10th of Feb., so no blogging before then I  suspect, but on the upside some pretty pictures when we get back hopefully. 

2 comments:

  1. Shhh ... Don't tip off the Katz that they are going into Rehab for 2 weeks (Lorenzo reads your blog sometimes)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mum and Dad chose Madeira for their last overseas holiday, and loved it. I hope your travel is hassle-free, and that you love Madeira as much as they did xx

    ReplyDelete