Sunday 9 April 2023

Books to read Poster No 43

 


It wouldn't be impossible to guess, but full marks to anyone who said Jane Eyre. And full marks to me for battling my way through one of the most tedious nineteenth century novels ever written - again! Although I faux cheated and listened to it as a free Audible book read by Juliet Stevenson. 

I first read this when I was seven and quite enjoyed it, because let's face it,  it's quite an exciting story of a little girl growing up, and winning out against the people who were nasty to her when she was seven. Hurrah! The memories I retain most clearly of my first read are the appalling scene where Jane is locked up in the  bedroom where her uncle died,  and then her later summons back to Gateshead where you discover her male cousin, who was nasty to her as a little boy, has turned into an even nastier man whose failings can no longer  be hidden from his previously doting mother, who is forced to admit that in fact none her children are  the little darlings she once thought they were. 

After that I've twice had it as a set text, once at school and once on an MA program. I've also read CB's other books and I have a lot more idea about what is actually going on in this text than I had when I was seven. And most of it I find  nauseating. This is hardly surprising since Jane the character is obviously a wish fulfilment version of the author, and a more nauseating example of middle class nineteenth century womanhood than CB is something I have yet to encounter. And I'm not holding my breath. The woman, and her creation Jane,  both make my flesh creep. 

And I don't think I can bear to write anything more about it. 

Given that I am only on Book 43, and therefore yet to hit the halfway mark on the poster, I feel I must put a little bit more effort into this. Watch out for  more posts over the next few months of books I never thought I would read. 

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I could bear to read Jane Eyre again...

    ReplyDelete