Thursday 6 May 2021

Some Recent Walks (2) Trig Points

There's a trig point on the island where we live and we'd been here about 12 years before I ever walked up to it and I didn't bather again for a long time. It's up quite a steep hill, which of course is no surprise, and it also can get very muddy so it's not a favourite despite some fantastic views over the sea, other islands and of course the Churchill Barriers from the top. 

We did do it about ten days ago though.




Later the same week we drove down to South Ronaldsay and did the walk up to the communications tower there. I've never got quite that far before, as it's further than it looks from the road, but this time I persevered and when we walked round the back of it lo and behold! a little further on there was another trig point. Obviously the week for them. I immediately got all enthusiastic, and suggested to the OH that we start looking for trig points on our Orkney maps and visiting them all, but the idea died a death when he pointed out that there is one near Kirkwall at the top of Wideford Hill. If I wanted to go mountaineering instead of walking up a hill I'd do it on something a bit more famous than Wideford Hill. But I took some photos of/at  the South Ron one, including the obligatory lambs and a clump of primroses. 






2 comments:

  1. So you’ve never felt drawn to Munro bagging, then? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only in those dreams where I also walk the Camino de Compostela!

      Delete