Sunday 21 February 2021

Finished Things - A Paper

 not the sort you read every day, the sort you write.

Remember I gave a paper on-line in January instead of bring in Toronto to give it in  person? A few days afterwards I was approached and asked if I would be wiling to revise it for publication; the idea was that the papers from our panel would appear as a supplement to a journal that deals with Scot Lit. 

I sort of felt obliged to say yes, and enquired when it was needed by and was told the end of Feb. So naturally I kept thinking, I must get around to that and then not doing it. Last weekend though I did get around to it, in proof of which I give you a photo



 I must have been taking it seriously because I proof read it on screen then printed it off to proof read it again in hard copy. Because we all know that there are always mistakes that don't show up on the screen. I don't know why I always put these things off, because actually writing them is quite enjoyable once you get into it. And that holds for most things, but for me it's particularly true when I'm writing about Alistair MacLeod. 

I took The Guardian on Saturday for a year before recognising that I only found the time to get through half of it; not always the same half but there were always swathes of it I never read every week. But one entertaining thing was author interviews, and they usually asked the question 'Which is the book you give to people?' And this, this  is the book I give to people. It's just brilliant. 

3 comments:

  1. If you ever want someone to proof read any of your writing chuck it my way - it keeps my braincell vaguely active and I am actually fairly good at proofing :-) Well, I earned my meagre crust doing it for several years, so good enough I think.
    Do I want to read this book and, if so, why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised you haven't read it already - unless you did a slightly different configuration of the M Litt to me. It was on the Lit of the NAR module. I don't know if you want to read it, but if you can access a copy I'd say give it a go.It's difficult to encapsulate, but it's about the Gaelic community of Cape Breton on Nova Scotia - or at least that's where it is set but it's about lots of things. It's only 262 pages so hardly a huge investment of time. I have found from totally anecdotal evidence that generally speaking it speaks more to those with a Scottish sensibility but that doesn't hold 100%. If you do read it I'd be interested to know what you think.

      Delete
    2. I have borrowed a copy so will read and let you know what I think. I suspect the MLitt route has varied a touch over the years and I know some of the booklists had changed from the year before me to my year (and the wrong one was sent out so I ended up with a few extras - such a tragedy LOL!)

      Delete