Tuesday 23 February 2021

Finished Things - A Cardigan


Not for me obviously. It was supposed to be for one of the grandsons at Christmas before the air mail  charges went through the roof and I realised that it would cost a fortune to send that way and I didn't have long enough to finish it and send it surface to get there on time. So I abandoned it and didn't pick it up again until recently. I've now got it done and I'll send it surface and it may get there for his birthday which would be a nice coincidence and if it doesn't well it's not really a birthday present; it looks very big but how can you judge when a child's about to be six and you haven't seen him since he was three. 

Anyway by the time it was done I was beginning to think it was far too bright, and don't get me started on how much I worried about the possible cultural appropriation and  insensitivity of doing a native American pattern in the colours of the Canadian flag. In the end I decided that I was probably the only person I knew, bar a couple in Canada itself, who would even think twice about it, so bashed on regardless. Canadian colours for my Canadian grandson. Can anyone reasonably object? 

I have to say I was quite pleased with how I managed to line up the front stripes but was sorry that the buttonholes didn't line up with the white ones. But I daresay that (the buttonhole thing) is something else no-one but me will notice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment