Saturday 3 March 2018

Shuropody

I know, I know, shudder at the spelling for which I can't even discover a 'punning' or 'cute' reason, but that done, marvel at the fact that I got better service here than I got from the NHS podiatrist.

Shuropody was recommended to me by a friend when I was bemoaning the useless 'get some wide shoes with arch support and no top seaming and by the way you can't get anything like that on Orkney' advice that I was given. They have a practice/store in Glasgow so on our recent visit I trotted off there. 

The lady who served me was really very nice and helpful and nothing was too much trouble for her. She didn't even blench when I changed from hand knitted woollen socks for trying on everyday shoes to sock size tights for trying on going out shoes! I bought some going out ones and we found a pair of everyday ones, but sadly they only had those in brown so I've had to order a pair (style and size noted down for me by said helpful lady) in black from the website and they arrived today. My one moan, since I accept that they can't keep every style in every colour in every size in their shops is that, like so many other firms they charge extra for delivery to the Highlands and Islands, despite the fact that they used the Post Office to send the stuff. Totally iniquitous and teeth grindingly annoying but so so common that I have given up complaining as it would be almost a full time job. 

As it happens I have my follow up appointment with the  podiatrist on Monday* so the shoes have arrived in good time for me to show her and see if she finds them suitable, although I've no reason to think that she won't. And at least I can demonstrate that I have taken her advice. I even invested in a tube of witch hazel cream and have used it a couple of times when the pain has been bad. That said I will make an appointment at Shuropody one time when we are down in Glasgow to have my foot looked at and possibly get a personalised orthotic made as I was impressed by them. 

*such excitement when the letter arrived addressed to me with the NHS Orkney logo on it as I thought it was the much longed for ophthalmology consultation. Sadly not.

After the visit to Shuropody we wandered off to the Buchanan Galleries where we purchased a new cheese box from Lakeland (such are the excitements of modern domestic life, but I have to say that it is a huge improvement on the previous one which we should obviously have replaced years ago) and then we had a lovely lunch with our friend KH from Scottish Opera. We'd spotted a tapas style restaurant on our wanderings  and decided to try it, and it was lovely. (Café Andaluz, small chain, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen). Definitely worth a revisit and not just for the churros, although they helped. 

1 comment:

  1. There’s no situation which churros can’t improve 😉 Good luck with the podiatrist!

    ReplyDelete