Tuesday 6 March 2018

Mad Social Whirl

I'm in the middle of what passes for a mad social whirl here where we live. And it's bloomin' tiring. It not that we're particularly busy, but generally speaking life is so quiet that any trip out, over and above the supermarket, counts as excitement and that rarely happens more than once every two weeks. So I am rather shocked to find myself  with so much t do in  so few days. 

Today the OH had a dentists appointment in the  morning, and the training restaurant at the college was dong Mexican this week so we bridged the gap between the two by doing some town based chores and shopping. (Tell me, why does it take so long to decide how to frame a tiny cross stitch picture?). The food at college was fabulous; I sampled both desserts; churros because hey! churros. They're the Spanish/Mexican equivalent for me of pannacotta ie if it's on the menu I have to have it. The other one was fruit quesadillas; they looked lovely and they were and if I can find a recipe I amy even try making them. One of these days.. The main courses were good too, but, you know, it's the desserts I'll remember.
Came home and fell asleep on hthe sofa (oops!) listening to Part 2 of the current Radio 4 afternoon drama which is a prequel to the TV series Waking the Dead. Now I stopped watching Waking the Dead after about a series and a half because I couldn't bear it when the Trevor Eve character went round SHOUTING at everybody ALL THE TIME, and also it wasn't vey credible, plot wise. I  like my Tec TV to be credible, but anyway, -  the prequel series got a good write up in the Radio Times, not that that means anything much these days, and I thought I would listen because I could always knit to it. Or, as happened today, fall asleep. I will have to listen to the second half of the episode  on catch up. Meanwhile back on our busy day, the OH had uncharacteristically suggested doing something off his own bat, which was getting tickets for the Covent Garden livecast of Carmen which was this evening and we went. More of that another day but it was billed as a controversial production, so all I'll say is, brace yourselves. 

Meanwhile tomorrow I need to get up and bake cakes in the morning. In the afternoon I'm going out with friends to a local café/bistro place for coffee and cake. It's something I started late last year; we try to go once a month. The thing is it's very easy to let days slip by here and get to October and discover there are people you haven't yet wished a Happy New Year so I figured if we aimed for once a month then we might manage that most times - allowing for people going away to visit family or have a holiday or whatever. So the weather put paid to February, but March we will have done. Unless we get six feet of snow overnight.

On Thursday morning a friend and her daughter, who is just back from two years working in Israel, are coming round for coffee and in the evening the OH and I are, unbelievably, out again!  since we are off to the library for an author visit. Long term readers of the blog may remember that the last time we did this, when the author in question was Arne 'The Dull' Dahl, it was not a huge success and I am rather trepidatious about this one. The writer concerned is James Oswald who writes detective novels set in Edinburgh, but as he comes from a fantasy writing background there are bits of the supernatural that float round the edges. I'm not a big fan of the supernatural/detective crossover, although I have put up with it in JO's books until now. He had a new one out in January which I've read and I think that actually, now, I'm done. His writing tics are becoming more and more obvious, his hero is getting more and more obnoxious and really I've stopped caring. I will not of course be saying any of this on Thursday evening. Well, not out loud, anyway. 


2 comments:

  1. On the subject of the ROH Carmen... I will say no more other than Planet of the Apes will never seem the same again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to hear about Carmen!!

    ReplyDelete