Thursday 8 March 2018

Pot Luck at the Library

The Orkney library has a scheme going. You give them the princely sum of  three pounds fifty pence and in return you get one of these.



An Orkney library tote bag with a genre label and six  books from that genre that they're wanting rid of. It's been going a while now and I've not succumbed, but on Saturday when  we went to get our tickets for this evening's shenanigans with James Oswald I finally did. It was a bit of a gamble because I read so much crime fiction the odds were that at least one of the books I would have read, before or that they would all be American thrillers, which I'm not keen on,  rather than British police procedurals which I love. 

In the event I did surprisingly well. Here's my selection.


Two of them are American, butt hey seem t be more your standard murder investigation than thriller, One of the others is set in China, which will be different, and another n post colonial Kenya.  Michael Gilbert is the only author of the six I have previously encountered and his books have a Fine Art/Antiques background and I remember now that I used to enjoy them. The final one is described on the front cover by The Guardian as a 'zestful mix of criminous and domestic comedy', so that seems promising. Obviously they are all rather old, which is why the library wants rid, but I don't care about how old they are as long as they are good. 

I shall doubtless report back at  a future stage. Meanwhile we are now back from the trip to hear Mr Oswald and it was, rather to my surprise, very good. Even the OH enjoyed it and he hasn't actually read any of JO's books!



1 comment:

  1. I think Michael Gilbert is the only one I’ve heard of, too - looking forward to seeing your reviews!

    ReplyDelete