Tuesday 6 January 2015

Project 60 Number Four

And that was Going Away for Christmas.

I've always fancied doing this. The OH however has not. 'I like to be at home at Christmas. I don't like leaving the cats. It's not a time to be on the roads/railways/in airports....' and so it went on.

This year was different though. It was the first Christmas that Son No 1 and his family would be spending in Canada and the first chance that we would have to spend Christmas with them, as for the previous nine years they have been snapped up/coerced by the in-laws to spend Christmas with them.

I have found this upsetting and annoying in equal measure. Partly because I know the kids would occasionally have liked a Christmas on their own. Partly because I could never be so selfish as to deprive someone else of the chance to spend Christmas with their child and grandchild for so long. The daughter-in-law's parents seem to have no qualms about this. They want their children at their house for Christmas and there is no argument, or ever any suggestion that perhaps it might be 'our turn'.

Families, eh? Recipe for disaster.

Anyway although it wasn't quite the Caribbean idyll  that I have always envisaged when I have used the phrase 'going away for Christmas', we did go away and have Christmas in Canada. It was wonderful. It was in fact a bit like the credit card advert. 'Flights to Toronto £X. Hotel in Windsor £X. Meals out and presents $CX. Spending Christmas with the family Priceless.

Pics aplenty over the next few days.....

No comments:

Post a Comment