Monday 12 January 2015

Project 60 - Number 5


SNP logo



Here are six words I never thought I would say or type.

Today I joined a political party.

I'm not a political person. Politicians in general bore, or irritate or nauseate me. I'm afraid I'm one of those people politicians deplore because I genuinely do think that these days they are all more or less the same and all more or less in it for themselves.

This doesn't mean I don't vote. Very brave women suffered, some even died, to get me the vote, and not to vote would be a callous betrayal of their sacrifice. So ever since I was old enough I have voted.

When we lived in England I was a  bit of a floating voter and voted for different parties at different times. Quite what I would do this coming May, were I still living in England, I have no idea. I have every sympathy for friends facing that dilemma.
 
Since coming to Orkney  however I have been able to vote consistently for one party. One of the good things about moving north of the border was the opportunity to vote for the SNP, and I have done that gladly at every election since we arrived.
 
I wasn't planning to join, despite the fact that I have agreed with their central policy, the independence of Scotland, since I was twelve. Like I said, I'm not a political person. But since the Referendum I have thought that perhaps I should put my money where my mouth is, and quietly nail my colours to the mast.
 
So I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment