Sunday 4 January 2015

Happy New Year!

We've been away, hence the silence. Post and pictures to follow shortly - as in, not today but sometime this week.

I was very pleased to say goodbye to 2014 which was a rubbish year for us and I'm hoping that 2015 will be a huge improvement.

It almost got off to a bad start. When we got back to Orkney  on New Years Eve we discovered that in our absence the decorator had been in and painted the new room. Which should have been good news, right? And it would have been if he hadn't painted the walls the wrong way round. Honestly how tricky is 'This wall is to be this light green, and the other three walls are to be this cream, and that's why there's a small tin of green paint and a bigger one of cream'. Not very, I wouldn't have thought. Until I came home to three green walls and a cream one.
 
I have tried for several days to convince myself that I can live with it, but at the end of the day I just can't. So I've written to the decorators asking them to come back and put it right. The OH seems very antsy about this. Not sure why. He is convinced that they will a) run out of paint b) charge twice for the work and c) never come back to do any more work for us.
 
I said to him that if he got something totally wrong for work  would he not a) expect to be asked to redo it b) not expect to be able to charge for it twice and c) worry about not being asked to do any more work, rather than decide he could afford to take home his bat and ball. All of which he is in agreement with. Even so, he wasn't happy when I posted the letter this morning. 
 
At the end of the day this new room has cost us a small fortune, and I don't see why I should be asked to live with something that isn't  quite right. It's not as though I waved in the direction of the paint tins and said 'Two colours, four walls, take your pick'.
 
The only slight consolation is that it was done in old rubbish 2014 and hasn't blotted the fresh copybook that is 2015. Yet. I'll keep you up to date with developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment