Saturday 4 December 2021

Books to Read Poster No 31 - and Advent Day 4

 


This was a double dip as it was also a Bedside Book - they're now down to just one which is a good feeling. Given the picture there are no prizes for guessing that the book was Hamlet. 

And yes, I have read it before, if studying it at school counts. I've also seen it several times on stage, including a very beautiful touring RSC production many years ago with Philip Franks as Hamlet, Maggie Steed as Gertrude, Tessa Peake Jones as Ophelia and the late lamented David Collings (the reason for going) as Polonius. No memory whatsoever of who played Claudius. 

Rather to my surprise I enjoyed reading it. I think mainly I was just blown away by the power and the ease and the sheer inventiveness of the language. There was a lot more politics in it than I remember, and quite long asides on the nature of theatre and how plays should be produced which were totally irrelevant to the main plot and which presumably are very pointed comments from Shakespeare aimed at someone, but we don't know who. As such I found them quite amusing although if ever included they must hold up the performance mightily,. 

Advent day 4 is upon us and voila


The stitch marker advent gave me the little silver cat playing with a ball.. The yarn today was called 'Always Winter and Never Christmas' and it tones beautifully with the stitch marker set that was today's packet in my privately arranged  advent swap with a knitter in Germany. I like the dangly stich markers so much that the OH has promised to look out some ear-ring findings so that they can be converted into ear rings. They will go very nicely with a little turquoise necklace I bought when we were in Devon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment