Saturday 27 March 2021

100 Books to Read poster - No. 26

Ok Ok  I know I  sometimes find it difficult to decide the connection between the book and the little picture on the poster, but this time I have that problem in spades. 

So, take a look at this. 


and explain to me, if you can, how that says Wuthering Heights?

If you know me, or if you don't know me but have read this blog for a while, you will  know that I am not the biggest fam of either Charlotte or Emily Bronte, so I wasn't looking forward to reading this at all. However I decided recently that, as far as the poster reading went, I was going to concentrate on those that I owned, since this would not involve me in spending money or hassling the local librarians to get things. And the first one that I came to on the poster that was also on my bookshelves was Wuthering Heights. 

In the beginning I thought, well maybe this won't be too bad. The writing has a little more energy than I remember. Then I thought Now I get it. It's really an C18 Gothic novel and now that I realise that maybe it won't be too bad. Then I thought Gosh, these are a bunch of horrible, non-credible people and this book is really really badly structured. And then I thought I was right all along, this is a silly book and the world would not have  been a worse place if it had never been published.  

This does rather beg the question What am I missing? since many people adore it and critics certainly find lots to say about it, and praise in it. 

Next one up is not a classic by most definitions, but it is going to be a great deal more enjoyable! 







1 comment:

  1. I recall enjoying it when I was about 13, and then not even finishing it when I tried again in my 40s . . .

    ReplyDelete