Sunday 27 December 2020

The Sparklies Number 1

I'm generally not much of a one for sparkly stuff, especially when it comes to wool but I've got  a few bits of sparkly wool around and a few sparkly projects underway. Here's the first one to be finished.



I'd like to say that these were as complex to knit as they look but they weren't really. I enjoyed making them and they are fun to wear - I finished them yesterday and tried them out on a chilly walk today. You'll have to take my word for it that they sparkle, there is some silver stellina in there but it doesn't really show up. 

We feel we should get back into the habit of daily walks which we managed more or less all the time during the first and most serious lockdown but which have become less regular recently - although not abandoned  altogether. The problem is that circular walks that don't involve walking on surfaces other than roads are few and far between in Orkney; lots of rough ground walking available which I don't like and lots of long linear walks which are no good if you have to drive to the start and walk for miles there and then do the same walk in reverse (I mean that's not the end of the world, but I prefer circular ones). But we were listing some of the ones there are and we could probably do a week locally without repeating ourselves. So we'll see how that goes.  

As far as the mitts go, I had expected them to use up most of my skein of wool, but they didn't. I have enough to do a matching hat if I can decide on which pattern to use. But that's not a job for today. 

3 comments:

  1. I love the colour of those mitts - what sort of thumb hole do they have? There seems to be a trend for simple splits rather the usual 'tube' for your thumb but as I have an amputation on my left thumb joint (proves my witch status as I was born with three thumbs) then slit sort rub most uncomfortably. So I am curious :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These have a tube thumb. While the slits are easier they don't keep your thumbs at all warm. I think I've only done one pair where the pattern was for a slit and I thought I would be clever and just add a tube for the thumb by picking up stitches round the hole. Never thought to put in a thumb gusset ... well you live and learn! They are a beautiful colour, I seem to have been given a lot of turquoise wool at some stage.

      Delete