Thursday 11 June 2020

Baking Subscription May

Since they sent the shopping list for the fresh ingredients for the June box earlier this week I thought it was probably time I buckled down and did May's baking. This month it was the cumbersomely named Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies . ( No, me neither ). Basically they were small carrot  cookies sandwiched together with cinnamon flavoured buttercream. They looked like this 


or at least that one did. And yes, that is the fancy pants new china we finally got around to unwrapping  few weeks ago and yes I have managed to find somewhere to put the old stuff and make myself room on the kitchen bench to actually bake again. 

So I am no longer a cake piping virgin since you had to pipe the mixture onto cake trays to bake the cookies. It was fine; they are twice as big as they are supposed to be, but the way I see it that's a  good thing, because you can have one and feel virtuous, whereas if they were half the size you'd need two and then you'd feel guilty about having seconds. I was not quite so carried away by enthusiasm for this new found skill (although to call it a skill with reference to my attempts is over egging the pudding more than somewhat) that I did the second lot which was piping the butter cream into the cookies to sandwich them together. No-one was going to see it and the weight of the top cookie was going to flatten it anyway. I reverted to a teaspoon and my trusty palette knife for that. I did my own chocolate drizzling rather than get the OH to do it for me like he did last time chocolate drizzling was required. I regret to note that I am not nearly as good at drizzling chocolate as he is, and that fact might well have something to do with the fact that you're getting a picture of one, rather than the whole batch. 

After all that, they aren't  really to our taste, although we like them enough to eat them all I daresay. I thought I might make some nice fruit scones tomorrow though. 

2 comments:

  1. You can’t beat a good fruit scone - and no piping or drizzling required 😉😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete