Saturday 13 July 2019

50th Birthday Bash

One of the lovely things about being a mature student is that you mix with all sorts of ages. One of my fellow Ph D cohort had a baby a few months ago, and another, as previously mentioned, was celebrating her 50th birthday last weekend.

The party was in Dornoch, where said friend now lives, in a gorgeously rambling two storey flat above the Dornoch Bookshop. There was a band (who got fired half way through the evening!), there was an 80s mix tape, there was multigenerational dancing ....



... and naturally there was cake. 


There was also a less hectic open house on Sunday morning where we actually had some time and quiet to catch up with the friend and some of her family before making for the north coast again.

We stayed overnight in Dornoch in a very posh B and B called The Steading. The OH had booked it. I leave booking stuff to him these days on the grounds that he tends to book places which I would discount as 'too expensive'. The Steading consists of several renovated farm buildings, all beautifully done to a very high standard. They had lost their chef the week before and could therefore only offer a continental breakfast, but since I only ever have continental that didn't bother me. I don't think it can have bothered anyone actually; it was the only place I've ever stayed that had both honey and an open whisky bottle beside the porridge pot!  

The room was quite luxurious ad we had our own little garden plot. And yes, there are pictures .... although not as many as I thought I had. Here's our little garden



                                                              that's the door to our room



and this is the dining room. I loathe the tendency of Scottish B and Bs to indulge in tartan carpeting, but the rest was quiet and tasteful - or should I say more to my taste.



On the way back as it was a lovely sunny day and we had hours and hours to fill we stopped at Golspie for a nose around. More on that, and pictures, anon. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a good time! I agree with you on the tartan carpets....

    ReplyDelete