Monday 3 December 2018

Day Three


After the Rain soap. Which was a lovely start to the day as I love After the Rain, and already have some shower gel and perfume in it. 

Alas, after that the day deteriorated rather, thanks to a discombobulating e-mail from UHI Grad School telling me my submission date was not 31st January 2019 as we had all been assuming, but 30 November 2018. Which as the alert amongst you will have realised, has now passed. In the circumstances it was a thoughtful touch to attach an application form for an extension period. 

However I knew it was rubbish so I sent back a polite e-mail asking how on earth they had worked this out, only to get another one a couple of hours later to say that I was right and the January date was correct. Which was reassuring in one way, but not in another. Shouldn't they be the people keeping tags on this stuff, and getting it right? 

I was working hard on revising my first chapter when the first e-mail arrived and I carried on revising it afterwards, with just a brief five minute interval when I madly thought 'Sod this for a game of football, I'm taking my ball home'. That said, it reminded me of some the many reasons why I wish I had never set out on this journey in the first place. 

Being so unsettled didn't help me choose, or listen,  to my music today. I eventually settled on Thomas Allen and Valerie Masterson singing I've Never Been in Love Before, from Guys and Dolls, because I fancied being carried away by some loud sweeping strings. Sadly all I could hear were two beautiful voices far too powerful and nuanced for the music they were singing. 

So it was a very odd sort of day, although on the upside I did get a lot of work done. I have however written myself to exhaustion, which is why I'm about to turn in at the unheard of hour of not quite ten o' clock. 

I'm thinking I may wake up tomorrow early and refreshed and ready to tackle the next section with a bit more enthusiasm than I can muster at present. Hope. It springs eternal, eh? 


1 comment: