Tuesday 4 December 2018

Day 4


Glenashdale shower gel. Very glad to see this as I bought some for a friend for Christmas and for a while now have been lamenting the fact that I didn't get any for myself at the same time. 

Music -  Advent being a time of reflection I thought that some days I would listen to music that reminded me of those close to me who I have lost and give myself  chance to think about them and what they meant to me. I started that today by listening to Aly Bain and Willie Johnston playing 'Margaret's Waltz'. 

This was the closing music played at my aunt's funeral in October. She and her husband shared a love of music of all sorts; listening to it and even making it. It was a bond we had, because music was in short supply in my own home when I was young, and loving it and just sitting and listening to it was something my mother  couldn't understand. Margaret and John, my aunt and uncle, really did. 

I remember John telling stories sometimes when they came back from the Alnwick folk festival. They really enjoyed folk music without taking it too seriously. 'Then this lad comes on' my uncle would say ' and he says he's going to sing this song and he starts off and twenty minutes later he's still going, it feels like its 36 verses and every one of them followed by a four line chorus. Every time he sings the chorus, you think, that must have been the last verse, but no, he'd take a breath and start on another one. You wouldn't believe it'. 

I miss her. And when the day comes, I'll miss him even more. 

Something cheerful tomorrow perhaps .... 









2 comments:

  1. I offer you whatever sort of thing you would like me to offer, whether a hug, a cuppa (virtual sadly) or a song . . . but I have to say that if the song was only 36 verses it was a short one! (And I AM a traditional singer - award winning no less!)

    ReplyDelete