Wednesday 30 October 2013

Well, here's a first....

I had the detailed post graduate conference schedule this morning.

According to that I was sharing a room, not having specified that I required a 'private' one.  And my name was nowhere to be seen on the presentation timetable.

Now my days of sharing sleeping quarters with anyone other than my husband, except under the most extreme of circumstances (say, evacuation because the island on which I live is about to explode) are well behind me. Nowhere on the forms that I completed or in any of the associated bumf did it say that sharing a room was the default and that if you wanted a single room you should say so 'here'.
 
And although I wasn't falling over myself to do a presentation (see previous post), now that I've thought about it and put it together I don't see why I shouldn't give it. Especially when I'm going to have to listen to myriads of other people talking about copepods (what?), diel vertical migration (what?? again) and regional wave climates (insert your own what? here). Not that the marine biologists pre-dominate in UHI postgrad terms or anything.... Actually for all I know diels and copepods  have nothing to do with marine biology. But if I have to listen to 3, 5 or 10 minutes of those I don't see why they shouldn't have to listen to 3 minutes on a Gaelic poet.
 
Ten years ago I would have sent  a huffy e-mail declaring that I wouldn't bother going then but we have matured since then and I sent a restrained though slightly humorous e-mail instead. As a result of which I now have a single room and I will be added to the presentation list.
 
But this is the first time the curse of Inverness has struck before I even set foot in the place!

No comments:

Post a Comment