Monday 7 October 2013

Yorkshire Part 1

The initial impetus for our trip to Yorkshire was a get together for readers of Dorothy Dunnett. I've been a fan of Dorothy's books for many years; I first read one way back in 1984 and read them to the exclusion of almost all else until I had  'caught up' with her work. I then joined everyone else devouring each new book as it came out and  waiting impatiently for the next one.
 
The waiting was somewhat eased by occasional, officially organised large gatherings of fans in Edinburgh and Boston, Mass., (although I use the word organised very loosely in relation to the one in Boston) and smaller unofficial get togethers organised by readers. Dorothy died several years ago so there are no new books to read and discuss, but the fan gatherings continue. Now that we live in Orkney I very rarely attend but this one was organised by a good friend, it was in Harrogate and the program appealed to both OH (sadly a non-Dunnett reader) and me, so we decided to go.
 
Things got underway with a Friday afternoon tour of Harlow Carr RHS gardens. I'd been here several times, but the OH never had, which I find rather odd...the gardens have nothing whatsoever to do with Dorothy Dunnett, but on the other hand a lot of her fans are very interested in gardening. It was possibly not the best time of year to go, especially if you like gardens that are full of flowers and colour, but I still found a few things to take pictures of
 

Woven Willow Boxing Hares


the Gertrude Jekyll inspired garden


a welcome splash of colour.

After the tour was over we dashed back into Harrogate for a cup of tea and a slice of cake at a pretty little tea room we had seen earlier in the day


It may have been called Linda's. Then again, maybe not.

There was a dinner in the evening at a local Bistro. The food and ambience were both good although I struggled with the company. On my right were two elderly brothers, neither of whom I had met before and one of whom was profoundly deaf. Conversation was difficult and limited. The last person to arrive at our table for six was late and immediately requested that we put out the candle as its flickering was annoying her. As a compromise we moved it out of her line of sight. Five minutes later she insisted on blowing it out because otherwise it was 'going to give her a migraine'. She then proceeded to monopolise the attention of the lady on my left who was the only other person at table who I knew - apart from the OH of course. I was not happy, and I may even have sulked a bit.  I liked the candle. And I would always rather suffer myself than inconvenience other people, so I am rather taken aback and annoyed when I meet people who think nothing of inconveniencing me. The way I see it, OH and I could have gone somewhere ourselves, probably somewhere quieter,  talked to one another more easily , not felt obliged to make stilted conversation with deaf people we did not know, and we could have enjoyed the candlelight as well.
 
Do you know, I sometimes suspect that I'm just a tad unsociable?


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment