Thursday 7 November 2013

Ze Curse of Inverness - She is Broke

Yup, difficult to believe I know but the nicest thing happened to me when I was Inverness for the UHI Post Grad Conference and I feel that perhaps the place has had its fun with me and is now willing to leave me alone.
 
So, are you all dying to know what the nice thing was? Well, I'll tell you. My presentation won an award. In fact it won Best Short Presentation. When they announced it at the final dinner you could have knocked me down with the proverbial feather.
 
The most astonishing, and indeed pleasing, aspect of winning this is that it is voted for by the delegates at the conference themselves. Since I was talking about a poet, and 80% of the audience were marine biologists and most of the rest were studying either health or environmental science I feel that I must have done something right.
 
It was a great way to start my 'paper giving' career and I got a little wooden shield and an Amazon Gift Card. Photo to follow, and then you will see why the awards are called The Nessies.
 
I should also place on record that, despite knowing naff all about marine biology and very little more about health and environmental sciences I enjoyed almost all of the presentations done by other people. I was particularly impressed by my fellow Centre for Nordic Studies student who did her presentation in rhyme. And I'm pleased to report that she too won an award, for the best innovative presentation. CNS Rocks - as the young people probably don't say.

No comments:

Post a Comment