Saturday 29 June 2013

I'm Sorry - What Did You Say?

Stand by for a mini-rant. I have just heard for what seems like the 99th time a trail for a series of plays on Radio 4, described as 'the epic story of the Stuart Dynasty, beginning with Mary Queen of Scots'.

I can't say it won't be an epic story, but I can say with some certainty that the Stuart dynasty did not start with Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots. It had been going quite a while before Mary was born. Her father after all was James [Stuart] V, and although all five Jameses were Stuarts not all Stuart Kings were  christened James.
 
If they mean the Stuart Dynasty 'in England' which presumably is what they're on about, why can't they b****y say so?

Actually I can't be bothered to rant. I'm just going to hold my head in my hands and try not to bang it on the desk in frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment