Friday 28 June 2013

More than time

I updated the blog with the trip south, if only because I took some photos specifically for the purpose.

Orkney to Devon is quite a drive, Shetland to Cornwall would be longer but not by much, so day 1 was foot to the floor and get to Carlisle where we overnighted. Day 2 we drove to Cheltenham in time for lunch with my sister, son no 1, d-i-l and grandson. We lunched at the 'famous sausage pub'. Don't think I'd go back, but the weather was lovely so we were able to eat outside.
 
Here is a rare thing
 
 
 
a picture of son number 1. When he was about 8 he suddenly started refusing to have his picture taken and even now, many years later, he's not comfortable with it. So you have to catch him unawares. He did manage his wedding photos with some grace but it was a struggle. He must be a trial to his mother in law, who before the advent of the digital camera was singlehandedly responsible for a large percentage of Kodak's profits.
 
 
No such reservations here
 

daughter-in-law, OH and grandson, all quite happy to be snapped.

I do also have a picture of my sister from the same occasion but she wouldn't thank me for putting it on here and, given that it is my birthday shortly, I have  decided that discretion is the better part of valour.
 
After lunch we got back in the car and carried on with the mega drive, arriving safely in Devon in the early evening.
 
The following day we spent the morning in Bude. I'm not sure if I've ever been to Bude before. It's possible as when I was very young we had a family holiday in Devon, although the only places I recall are Clovelly, where I spent some of my pocket money on a china donkey, long since gone to the china donkey sanctuary in the sky and Westward Ho! where I got into trouble for getting tar on my shorts. We may have been to Bude that week, but if so it left no great impression. Unlike the tar.
 
I enjoyed this visit though. It's very pretty - see
 
 
and has a nice beach

improved there by a brother-in-law.

It also has a good little  yarn shop where my mother in law bought some wool to finish a jumper and I may have treated myself to a couple of skeins of Manos del Uruguay Silk Fino in a gorgeous burnt orange colour. If you're down that way then Coastal Yarns is the name to look for. Lovely selection of yarns and buttons and a very nice owner.

We walked quite a long way round Bude and the beach before having Cornish Pasties - what else? for lunch.

To be continued....
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment