Monday 30 October 2023

Socks and Sample Cakes

 So back in February I blogged here about buying some wool and I'm pleased to report that with the finishing yesterday of these 

the Glasgow purchases have all been used. These are for me. The wool didn't knit up quite as anticipated but it's still a nice effect. I did the shadow wrap heel but I cannot comment on whether it really is a huge improvement fit wise over a heel flap and gusset as I haven't actually tried them on yet! I have leftovers from all three balls and doubtless they will get used up somehow someday, but meanwhile I can tick them off as basically used. In fact of the five lots in that post the only ones unknitted are the two orange/rust/cream ones from Madeira and the reason I haven't used those is that I can't decide whether to use them for fingerless mitts or socks. The blue/purple ones made lovely socks but I love the colours of the other set so much I'm loth to make something from them that will never be seen. 

I know there hasn't been much knitting content here recently but that's down to two things. One is the time it is taking to make the OH's Finnish jumper, although that edges ever onwards. I am now about half way up the yoke and the decrease rounds have started so the end is in sight, although I'm not looking forward to the underarm grafting. However it does look lovely even if I say so myself. I have also knitted four other things which I cannot put on the blog until after Christmas as they are for presents/ advent swaps and therefore under blog wraps so no surprises are spoilt. 

The sample cakes we bought the other day have proved a deep disappointment being dry and a bit crumbly so we'll be reverting to Tesco for our Christmas cake again this year. Next year I may even go back to  making my own  but we'll see. 

Happy to report that we got to the coffee morning in aid of Papyrus UK yesterday,   despite the best efforts of the weather and the coffee was good and there was some nice cake. We bought raffle tickets, of course - this is Orkney! - and didn't win a prize, but that's OK as winning a prize isn't the point really. We also delivered a birthday present to a friend for today, as the car went to  the car hospital this morning  and the weather forecast was definitely saying that today would not be a day for walking to a friend's to deliver anything.  

Talking of hospitals The Cat Lorenzo had an emergency trip to the vet last week and we honestly thought he wasn't going to be coming back with us, but he did and a change in his medication has made all the difference. We're still awaiting one set of blood results but he's so much improved we're hoping that's more of a formality than anything else. 


1 comment:

  1. Oh, no! Poor Lorenzo! Poor you, having all that worry...sounds like things are going the right way, though xxxx

    ReplyDelete