Wednesday 8 November 2023

Cawdor Castle

 I know, it's been ages. I'm not sick, I'm just not doing much. However I was reminded the other day that I never blogged about our visit to Cawdor Castle way back in June so I thought I might do that. 

It was on my journey back from Paris. You may recall vaguely that I had caught a train to Inverness and been met by the OH and the next day  we had had lunch with some friends and visited Inverness Botanic Gardens (which by coincidence I heard a couple of women discussing when we were at the Celina Rupp cafe for hot chocolate and cake last week - on the way home from the dentists!) The next day we were booked on the evening ferry to Orkney so we had time to 'do' something and the something we decide to 'do' was Cawdor Castle.  

It was lovely. It helped that the day was very warm and sunny which meant we could spend a lot of time  in the gardens. There was also a very nice cafe where we had elevenses/early lunch. The inside of the castle is quirky, full of unexpected corners and the room commentaries contain some very tart and witty asides which I certainly appreciated. There was also some very nice contemporary art hung beside older pictures; sadly although details were given of the older ones there was nothing to tell you who had painted some of the modern ones, which was a shame as I would have visited websites and who knows? perhaps bought a print or two. If I had a grumble, and it was a very small one, the woman serving in the Gift Shop was apparently unacquainted with the art of smiling, or indeed of greeting people as they walked in, even when they were her only customers, or of making any sort of pleasant small talk while relieving them of their money. I must say though that everyone else we encountered on the staff were very pleasant and friendly indeed.  

Pictures? Need you ask? A small selection






No idea why they have a Minotaur, although that may be a nascent maze/labyrinth he's in? 


Bird feeder - we watched it for ages, amazed at the number of different species that visited. 






And who knows - maybe I'll do something interesting in the next week and then get to blog about it. 

1 comment: