Friday 30 June 2023

Paris Day Two - Montmartre

I need to crack on writing up my trip to Paris and other points south because the date for our next trip away is fast approaching and I'm falling behind. 

Fair warning; this is going to be a very picture heavy post. I always take loads of photographs and then have trouble deciding which ones to use,

Day two I spent in Montmartre; my friend lives about a ten minute walk from Scare Coeur, and I was wanting to spend some time in the area just wandering about and soaking up the atmosphere as well as visiting the Musee de Montmartre which I'd read was excellent. 

I didn't particularly want to go into Sacre Coeur so I didn't; I probably wouldn't have even had I wanted too because the whole area was full of tourists so I can only imagine what the inside of the church must have been like, but I took some pictures.



then using my sometimes trusty phone directions I set off in the direction of the Musee de Montmartre. It's set in a house that was used by various C19 painters as a home or studio or both, and it's beautiful. It has glorious gardens front and back, - and a lovely cafe (always a plus)  





The main exhibition is a history of the area and how it transformed from being a rural landscape dotted with windmills to a rather louche area of Paris full of nightclubs and witnessing the birth of the can-can. In one of the buildings they have reconstructed the studio of the painter Suzanne Valadon


The exit was through the gift shop, naturally, but there'll be another, dedicated,  post about the very few things I bought as souvenirs of my trip later.

After the museum I had a wander around and ended up at the cemetery; in an experience that would be repeated at a later visit to Pere Lachaise I found none of the graves of the famous people I was looking for, but that was OK (ish) because I quite enjoy walking around cemeteries regardless. 





And that was Day 2. 

 

1 comment:

  1. I love a cemetery, they're always fascinating. And frequently full of wildlife.

    ReplyDelete