Thursday 29 June 2023

St Magnus Festival - A Rave

 


I am delighted to be able to say how very very much I enjoyed the Scottish Ballet performances given as part of the St Magnus Festival. We kicked off with A Streetcar Named Desire and as it is, to quote a review 'narrative ballet at its very best' it didn't matter that I realised very quickly that although I thought I knew the story, I actually didn't. I cannot add anything to the rave reviews this production has had wherever it has been performed, I can only say that I found it transfixing and the end moved me almost to tears. Truly spectacular (although obviously, given its subject matter, very disturbing at the same time!) 

The OH did not really enjoy it as he thought it 'too obvious'. He much preferred the more schools oriented program the following day which had two very short modern pieces, Tether and Trifecta. I loved Trifecta although I thought the young man who danced in it a little tentative. The rest of the program was excerpts from The Nutcracker, including the dance of the Sugar Plum fairy. I saw a documentary a couple of years ago about putting on The Nutcracker which majored on how difficult the SP role is. This probably accounted for the fact that I noticed how very tired the young dancer here  got towards the end, but even dancers are human and it was all very enjoyable. 

If I had to got to one of them again though it would be Streetcar, no question. 


2 comments:

  1. Sounds fascinating, especially Streetcar xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd thought of coming over for some stuff (Faure may have been one bit of 'stuff' although I really wanted to take part!) - but having been over for the Folk Festival I decided to bide at home. I'm south from Monday again as well, so home was the thing.

    ReplyDelete