Saturday 13 May 2023

Books to Read Poster No 47

 


It's getting harder and harder to rub the silver cover off the little pictures without damaging them, I think the silver stuff must get stickier with age. I should obviously have read faster. 

This was another free to members Audible offering - there will be several more of those to come over the next few months, although not the ones that come in at over forty hours. I think, free or not, I'll have to buy or borrow those and read them off the page. 

Anyway it was The Time Machine by H G Wells. I've never read it, never wanted to read it, and now that I've listened to it I don't want to read anything else he penned either, which is a huge shame as he has another title on the poster. 

I think the best I can say of this is that it is of its time. All the genres it dabbles its toes in i.e. sci-fi, adventure story , political prophecy, sociological analysis, psychoanalysis and even, in an icky and roundabout way, romance, have all come a very long way since this was written. This is a mercy for which we should all be grateful. 


1 comment: