Wednesday 7 December 2022

Vienna - Coffee and Cake

 


We got back late last evening and as you can probably imagine we've got a lot to do today. I did want to start blogging about Vienna, which I'm planning to do by 'topic' and I'm starting with the Coffee and Cake one because I suspect it will be the shortest.

One of the good things (one of? maybe the only?) about the timing of my recent operation was that it meant that I could go to Vienna and have coffee and cake without having to worry about how much fat I might be consuming at one sitting and the possible deleterious consequences. I thought we might do it every day to be honest with a different cake each time.

In the end we only did it the once. This was partly due to lack of time and partly lack of inclination. I found that I didn't want to eat rich cake every day, even if I did, in theory, want to sample several traditional Austrian cakes, but you can't go to Vienna and NOT do it at least once.

Of Vienna's many famous cafes we chose to go to Cafe Central, partly because of the fantastic Art Nouveau decor and and partly because Freud used to hang out there. We had to queue to get in, but this is true of all the more famous of Vienna's cafes so that was OK. It was 35 minutes though and quite cold so it was a relief to get in at last. Once you're in though you're not mithered to leave so you can relax and make the  wait worthwhile. 

The cold was probably the reason we opted for hot chocolate rather than coffee, and it was hot chocolate with amaretto which I have to say was delicious. There were lots of tempting sweet treats to go with it. The OH picked something called a Maroni Deluxe, which is a chocolate cylinder filled with kirsch soaked cherries and a chestnut mousse, topped with whipped cream, and I went for the Cafe Central Torte - well it would have been rude not to! Two layers of chocolate sponge with an orange flavoured layer between them, stuck together with orange flavoured marzipan. 

A very  enjoyable 'once-in-a-lifetime' thing. 


1 comment: