Thursday 20 August 2020

Baking Subscription August


This was Pear and Frangipane Tart. It was delicious.

I have to admit to rebelling when I saw the instructions for the pastry making since they began with freezing the butter and then grating it. That all seemed like far too much faff when the end product was going to be bog standard shortcrust pastry so I lobbed the butter and the flour and salt into the food processor with two tablespoons of cold water and it was fine. I learned long ago that the food processor is w-a-y better at producing pastry than I am.

The lattice is a bit rough round the edges. I put too much pastry into the case and left too little  for the lattice strips and looking at the photo now I can also see a mistake! but at least I showed willing. I egg washed the top, although why they tell you to do that when you drown the top in icing sugar (and I only used half the amount provided) I can't imagine.

I was pleased with it though and expect I'll make it again. I keep an album of photos for these bakes on Facebook and was rather surprised to find that this one garnered more reaction than almost any other one I have ever done. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds lovely! I associate grating cold butter with making rough puff pastry, not shortcrust. I’d have done the same 😉

    ReplyDelete