Saturday 14 December 2019

Bin Away - And Now We're Back.

We have just got back from a 3 day break in EuroDisney which necessitated gong away for a week. The blog got very neglected beforehand as I was determined to get all my Christmas cards, bar the Orkney ones, into the post. This made my card posting early, even for me, but I felt it would help me feel I had 'got somewhere' with Christmas and could therefore allow myself for a few days of enjoyment. (I know, ridiculous: but a Calvinist outlook deeply engendered in childhood  is difficult to throw off.)  

Since we returned to the UK on Thursday evening we didn't quite manage to miss all the punditry and horror around the unfolding election result, although I went to bed at 10.30 and refused to fall asleep to Radio 4 as is my wont, since it was given over to an Election Night special. I felt the bad news could wait until morning. It was certainly there, waiting for me the moment I woke up, but 10 minutes of a Tory fawning Today program was more than enough and the radio was suppressed for the rest of the day.

I can't be disappointed with the results in Scotland, except for noting in passing that the appalling Alistair Carmichael did in the end hang on to Orkney and Shetland for the Lib-Dems once again. Of course after his fall from grace (which in the end, the moral compasses of most political parties in Britain being where they are, actually wasn't all that far) he said he would not stand for election again, but that turned out to be just another of his lies. Hands up if that surprises you. 

The thing, or one of the things anyway, is that even if this does herald the end of the union, and Scotland finally becomes independent once more, that will leave a sad and sour taste if it's on the back of those in England who don't want, don't deserve and didn't vote for five more years of  Tory rule. Especially with the unspeakable Johnson in Downing Street and the even more loathsome Rees-Mogg allowed to slither out of the purdah into which Tory Central Office wisely confined him during the election campaign, to take up some high government office and make even more mountains of money. 

There is something deeply wrong with the world. 

Coming soon, I hope, a more cheerful and optimistic post, not to mention frame of mind. 

2 comments:

  1. Still waiting for my optimism to return xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Heather on this - I have not felt this grim in a long time, and I am seriously thinking about my resolve to move to Orkney given the repeated election of a liar.

    ReplyDelete