Monday 23 December 2019

A Pre-Christmas Treat

Let's ignore the fact that I already have too much wool (a point reinforced yeterday when I decided to have a 'sort through' some of the oldest bits of my collection, some of it dating back to before we even moved to Orkney in 2005.) This tam kit was launched on Friday, to raise funds for the dig at the Ness of Brodgar. Proceeds from the pattern (downloadable sometime in the new year) will go to the  Dig. The pattern has been locally commissioned and designed, and the wool comes from sheep kept by the pattern commissioner here in Orkney and spun for her in Shetland. The designs are based on art work found on pottery and elsewhere at The Ness. It's a very lovely thing and I'd like to think I will find the time to knit it before winter is out. I am not holding my breath. Especially since it rather ominously begins 'the recommended cast on for this is the long tail German twisted cast on'. Yup right. I'm guessing that has less than nothing in common with my normal loop the wool twice round my thumb then ... I feel the call of a you tube tutorial - but not just yet.

If you popped by expecting a picture of a chocolate and hazelnut wreath - sorry. I felt so awful on Saturday that not only did I not make the wreath, I cancelled the friend's visit in favour of a series of two hour naps throughout the day. The wreath will get made, just not sure when. Rest assured, when the day arrives, there wll be a picture of it here. 



2 comments:

  1. Hope the naps did the trick. This looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I should learn some other way of casting on than the two needle method I have employed for the last roughly fifty years . . .

    ReplyDelete