Thursday 28 November 2019

New Stuff - Reiki and Reflexology

Late on Monday evening I was called by a friend. Did I fancy coming along to her house the next day and having a session with a therapist; she did reflexology, massage, reiki etc. I could have 90 minutes and chose my own treatment. In the spirit of trying out new things I said yes. 

I duly turned up and answered a lot of questions about medication and general health, trying not to give away anything which the therapist could subsequently use to talk about blocked energies and so on. (Guess what, I'm a sceptic). 

I opted for reflexology and a reiki head massage. I enjoyed the reflexology. Who doesn't love to have their feet massaged? The reiki was a different story.  I found it deeply uncomfortable to have someone hold my head. I found it even more uncomfortable when their fingertips, instead of staying still,  crept inexorably forward. 

Afterwards she said a lot of stuff about blocked energies, constrictions on the chest that signified emotional trauma going back a long time that hadn't been dealt with, and a high degree of tension in my neck and shoulders. Well, I'll let her have the shoulder tension. Since about age 8. I'm not a relaxed person. 

I had a long and very enjoyable chat with my friend afterwards who I hadn't seen for far too long and then walked home. She would have given me a lift if her car hadn't been in the local garage, and I blithely assured her that, rather than summon the OH, I would walk. I had remembered that the street lights stop about half way between her house and mine. I hadn't remembered how dark that makes it. Or how difficult it is to walk in a straight line when you have no visual reference points. Fortunately I do still recognise the feel of damp grass, rather than tarmac, under my feet and was able to avoid ending up in a drainage ditch, but I suspect it was closer than I'd like to think. After that I scrabbled about and found my phone which provided me with a very small amount of light to hep me recognise where our drive turns off the road. So I made it home safely.

I had thought that if, as promised, the reiki gave me a good night's sleep it would all have been worth it, but in the event I had one of the most disturbed nights I've had in ages, so it's not an experience I'm likely to repeat. 

1 comment:

  1. I’m not a fan either! Hope you sleep better tonight.

    ReplyDelete