Wednesday 18 December 2019

The Nutcracker - and other adventures in motion pictures

Image result for the nutcracker



So yesterday evening the OH and I went to see The Nutcracker at the cinema. It wasn't a simulcast, but a screening of a film made of the ROH's 2016 production. We've never been big ballet fans but we're slowly getting drawn in, and it being Christmas and The Nutcracker being a Christmassy sort of ballet off we went. 

We enjoyed it immensely. I assume the dancers were good otherwise they wouldn't have ben there but I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment further on that. They certainly looked very  poised and confident, and their footwork was very very fast. Amazing stuff. The costumes were gorgeous - not all to my taste, but amazing just the same. And it was very clear what was going on, which hasn't always been my experience at the ballet it has to be said. 

Son No 2, who came back with us to Orkney when we returned from EuroDisney, and the OH, are going back to the cinema this evening. They are going to see a Star Wars Triple Bill, with the third film being the newly released whatever it's called - The Rise of Skywalker? - starting at 00.01. I think we can safely say I will be in bed long before they get home, and possibly up long before either of them in the morning. It's not my sort of thing, but it is theirs, and I hope they enjoy it. 

2 comments:

  1. What amazed me when I saw my first ballet was the NOISE. It was Swan Lake, and as the cygnets came on, all you could hear was CLATTERclatter, CLATTERclatter, from the pointe shoes on the stage 😁😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! That was my exact first reaction - to Giselle, which was my first ballet moons ago. Noise never mentioned in all those books by Noel Streatfield, Lorna whatsername et al!

      Delete