Saturday 6 April 2019

So on a positive note ....

while we were down in Glasgow for what we now call the Dire Dinner I did do a couple of other really enjoyable things.

First off we both went to Son No 2's Uni Year drama festival. The students all write/develop a short piece of drama, ten are chosen to be performed and they cast and direct them  themselves. We weren't sure whether it would be any good to be honest, but we were amazed by the talent on show. There was some very good writing, and actually Son No 2's piece, about an author visited by two characters from her successful sci-fi series, one of whom she had just killed off on the advice of her agent, was very good indeed. He also acted in three other pieces, and was particularly good in one set in Parliament where he channelled John Bercow to great effect. It was a  much more enjoyable evening than anticipated, they were all so good and you would like to think there would be enough room in the theatre for them all to have the successful careers they undoubtedly deserve, while knowing that it probably isn't so. 

On the Thursday I took myself off to Stirling where I met up with two friends. One of them is on the Board of Trustees of the Stirling Smith Museum which has just had a major refurb of its gallery number two, so we looked at that and the rest of the place too. It was amazing. I am always gobsmacked at the quality of some of the art and collections on show in small town galleries. We also had coffee and some Paradise slice in their lovely little cafĂ© - both recommended. 

The Smith has a very lovely garden with some unusual commissioned pieces and I was given a 'tour' of that before we went inside - if tour is the word for a gentle stroll in lovely weather. Here are a few pics





I thought this might be one of those seats that are much more comfortable t sit on then it seems they will be - but it wasn't. 


This was my 'light lunch'; cheese sandwich with pear chutney. Totally delicious. If rather large! 


This is not Stirling but Bridge of Allan where we decamped after our tour of The Smith; we had the aforepictured lunch there and then a walk around the town which can I just say, has some very nice shops. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the comment about the seat, I know EXACTLY what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m glad the awful was balanced by some fun!

    ReplyDelete