Thursday 1 October 2015

Can this really be the end...

...of the home improvements? Inside at any rate?

On Tuesday some men came to lay the new hall carpet. Sadly they thought that they had come to lay a living room carpet and were a bit non-plussed that that wasn't the case. Additionally they seemed a bit overwhelmed by the size and shape of the hall. Think of an L, but with a T junction at one end
 
Anyway after surveying the hall in some dismay they turned round and went away again to get the carpet cut down and supply themselves with some glue; carpet nails and flagstone floors not being a marriage made in carpet heaven apparently. They did come back and got as far as finishing the underlay and yesterday they came and put down the carpet and the hall is now done. As is most of the rest of the house. The OH's office and my study still need some work but that is not happening before 2017 because I am sick of spending money on the house and now we're saving up for a splendiferous holiday in Oz next February.
 
The new carpet, or more possibly the underlay, is beautifully thick and bouncy and now that it's all done I have definitely achieved my objective. This was to turn a shabby-chic hall without the chic into a shabby chic  hall without the shabby and I am very pleased with the result.
 
I am less than thrilled at the thought that I now need to spend most of this afternoon re-filling book cases that have been filled and emptied more times than I care to think about over the last 21 months or so, but I soothe myself with the thought that this is the last time for the foreseeable.

2 comments:

  1. Hurrah!! Enjoy it - you definitely deserve it :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ta! Have just move four waist high piles of books back into bookshelves so reckon that is enough of that for today.

    ReplyDelete