Monday 29 June 2015

The Geek Day

Well Cardiff wasn't all about the singing competition; there was work for the OH and I was revising my Gaelic and then doing my reading and writing assessments. But we also managed to fit in a few tourist-y type trips so that we could almost convince ourselves we were on holiday.
 
Now, as many people know Cardiff is the home of Dr Who, and naturally enough this means an earning opportunity for the BBC, in the shape of something called The Dr Who Experience. How could we resist? (Well I could possibly have resisted quite easily, but there you go).
 
The DWE is a tale of two halves really; there's an interactive bit where you're guided through a warehouse encountering various of Dr Who's foes as you stumble over a very uneven floor, and then an exhibition of props and costumes. For myself, the costumes were the main draw, as I'm truly not an interactive type person, especially if I think it's going to make me look like an idiot. As in this case.....
 
However there were lots and lots of costumes and props
 

Tardis Console Mark 2
 

 
Just in case there is a being in the universe who doesn't already know - this is a Dalek

 
And one of the truly creepy Weeping Angels
 
I seem not to have taken any pictures of the costumes, probably under the impression that I would buy postcards in the extremely well stocked shop, but then didn't. This is not to say that we didn't spend quite a lot of money in the shop; the boys love Dr Who and Christmas is coming after all.
 
I have to say it isn't the cheapest of tourist attractions. There is a café but everyone without exception on Tripadvisor said to stay away from it as it was extremely expensive. We tried to find out how expensive it really was, but there was no published price list visible. Which meant that we couldn't decide quite how horrendous the prices were, but we felt that its absence spoke volumes.
 
To go, or not to go? On balance, if you're at all interested in Dr Who, I would say go. And if you're not, you wouldn't be asking the question! 

No comments:

Post a Comment